Pages

Thursday, June 14, 2012

I made this!!! Without burning the place down!!!

Last night I woke up sweating like a pig for no apparent reason. So I stumbled around to turn on the fan and tried to go back to bed. About twenty minutes later I was still sweating like a whore in church on Sunday, so I caved and turned on the AC. This morning while making my coffee I realized why I was so dang hot through the night...I had left the oven on from night before. The whole night! I literally do not know how I managed to get lucky enough to not burn down the whole apartment complex! Which brings me to the current post:

I decided to try my hand at cooking again tonight, but with the stove this time. Except tonight I utilized Siri on my phone to remind to turn the stove off once I was done...technology is wonderful, I tell ya! But anyway this recipe (found here via Pinterest) is what I landed on for dinner tonight.

 Crispy Southwest Chicken Wraps

I altered my recipe a bit based on what I like compared to the original


  • 1 cup cooked rice, warm or at room temperature
  • 1 cup cooked, shredded chicken (or other leftover meat, like shredded pork or beef)
  • 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1/2 red or green pepper, diced
  • 1/2 cup yellow or white corn
  • juice of 1 lime
  • 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
  • 2 cups shredded cheese (I use a combination of Monterrey jack and sharp cheddar)
  • Sour cream (optional) 
  • burrito size tortillas
Combine all ingredients except for cheese and sour cream. prinkle cheese over tortillas, leaving 1/2-inch border around edges, then arrange chicken and rice mixture down the center of each tortilla. (Optional: I like to dollop little bits of sour cream over the cheese before arranging chicken and rice mixture down the center – it makes the wraps delightfully creamy.) Roll stuffed tortillas, leaving edges open and slightly flatten the wraps with the palm of your hand. Spray seam-side of the wrap lightly with cooking spray.

Heat a large non-stick skillet (or griddle) over medium heat for 1 minute. Arrange wraps, seam-side down, in pan or griddle and cook until golden brown and crisp, about 2-3 minutes per side. Cooking them seam-side down first helps seal the long edge so they don’t fall apart. Transfer to a plate and repeat with remaining wraps. Serve warm.  

The recipe doesn't call for this, but I also added a bit of queso in the middle of the tortilla before putting it in the skillet. Another addition I think I'll try with the leftovers is to dip in it some salsa that I have around. Sounds yummy to me!  

These were super easy to make (and that's saying something coming from the non-cook that I am!) and only took about 10 minutes of prep work and 2 minutes of actual cook time. So tasty!
  • I found this at Hobby Lobby today and thought it was appropriate!

     

 

No comments:

Post a Comment